It all started back in 1906, when 29 local businessmen purchased a small area of land on the site of holes 9-17 on the course today, and decided to create a 9-hole golf course using local hostelry, The Kenyon Junction Hotel as the clubhouse. They made the course available to all locals interested in playing golf.
Membership started to increase quickly and by February 1919 had grown to 192. It became clear that more holes and land were needed, so the possibility of buying or leasing more land to become a full 18-hole golf course was looked into.
It took until 1924 to turn this into reality, when local landowner Sir Edward Johnson-Ferguson offered the members the current clubhouse and enough land to build the remaining 9 holes. Well-known amateur player H Hilton was commissioned to design the rest of the course and it was opened for play in May 1925.
By 1956, the Club had bought the clubhouse and land from the Johnson-Ferguson family through debentures raised by the members at the time. The club has bought more land over time and now owns all of the areas around the course perimeters.
Today’s members certainly owe a lot to the foresight of the original 29 local businessmen, as without them, Leigh Golf Club wouldn’t be here for them to enjoy their round of golf in such beautiful surroundings.